Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I'm a little buzzed so forgive my ramblings

:Meowscarada:@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass / Ghost / You tell me
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick / Knock Off /Coverage move of choice (Leaf Storm? I dunno Low Kick figure it out)
- U-turn
- Triple Axel
- Trick

I've been reading the recent talks about Meowscarada's recent fall from grace. It's mostly about how she's simply outdone in any one area. Grassers outdue her in power and utility, Weavile is better than she is at the Ice/Knock game with better speed + priority, without a scarf her impressive speed tier falls just short of what she wants to hit without the power to do anything major.

Lots of reasonable defenders has pointed out her strengths, still a great pivot, great AF knocker, hits hard with the right item, and can make excellent use as a Scarfer (like a perfect assassin).

I think her biggest flaw is 4MSS. Everything I see kinda leads up to that. Then I thought "Trick is great, but I'm tired of Knocking Off my own effect like a goon". So then it hit me...

get rid of Knock Off like srsly.

If you still want it, I guess Flower Trick is the most expendable, but I like Flower Bombs and I'm utilizing GT. This has utility, pivoting, revenge murder and all that, all wrapped in one. If you really, really want Knock Off, just give it to something else Jesus it's a tm now it's everywhere and nowhere in OU at the same time.

tl;dr: trade Knock for Trick outright. I'm still in the very early resting phase but I'm liking the results.

EDIT: It just hit me that if you have better speed control on your team you can probably use Band instead with he same set for more power.
knock off isnt just a way to remove items, its a 97.5 bp 100% accurate stab dark move thats very hard to switch into. it can also be used reliably multiple times per game unlike trick. i agree that meow suffers from 4mss but i dont think forgoing knock is very sensible.

knock off isnt just a way to remove items, its a 97.5 bp 100% accurate stab dark move thats very hard to switch into. it can also be used reliably multiple times per game unlike trick. i agree that meow suffers from 4mss but i dont think forgoing knock is very sensible.
Hey, take your pick. It is a very powerful option for her but it's predictable, she hits hard, but not that hard, Darks are still a plenty and with Protean she still has a lof of hard hitting moves, so I find its about what you want out of it. Trick Meow is good, I shouldn't need to do any convin5of that, but if you're gonna a use Trick, I think KO is the most expendable move. It's usually a 97.5 bp move once per target as well but I'm splitting hairs.

That means relying on Triple which is scary, but can take out a Roaring Moon +1 DD, Dragapult (Focus Sash isnt in favor it seems but it does a better job than Knock), Gliscor, Riombee, etc. Rillaboom can handle Knock. I'm knot saying it's as good, but I rarely see CB Rilla without it. And Ogre also loves it.

arks are still a plenty and with Protean she still has a lof of hard hitting moves, so I find its about what you want out of it.
Not particularly honestly. Outside stabs+Triple Axel, Meow actually is very lacking in hard hitting moves. The next best thing is Play Rough but that's best used to amplify its stabs as coverage. Dropping Knock Off just isn't desirable.

Not particularly honestly. Outside stabs+Triple Axel, Meow actually is very lacking in hard hitting moves. The next best thing is Play Rough but that's best used to amplify its stabs as coverage. Dropping Knock Off just isn't desirable.
For what I've been using it for, U-Turn is the move I have the hardest time with ditching. With Scarf, I want to take out what I want to take.out with it. Ice for Draga, Roaring, Lando, Enamorous and dents quite a few others, so I consider it mandatory despite the game losing accuracy. Fighting for King if it's that much of an issue for my team. Play Rough for Dragons, but Ice does that better imo. Zamanzenta is Zamandonzo with Trick. I mean she has Protean she's literally nothing but STABs. And fuck stall entirely, it's literally "who do I want to fuck over the most".

Like I'm not hating on Knock. Keep it if you want a hard hitting Meow. Maybe use a different item if that's the case? But for this particular item, she kinda lacks power. Again, I'm not gonna avouch for Trick cause I shouldn't have too, but I think just focusing on what utility you want has merits. And hey, Trick + Knock Off is still a 97.5 crippling combo when it isn't used against you. If you're going to use Trick Scarf Meow, I'd say trading power for more crippling utility is worth a look.

This is still in the testing phase, I'm not claiming success or anything. Just a lot of utility I think needs exploring, and a lot of people going "mid, UU" without doing any exploring, so...

I feel like at the very least Low Kick competes more for the coverage slot than Play Rough. So many other relevant threats either are strong fairies in their own right or have coverage like Oger, while Low Kick let's you act as a Gambit lure and also chunk a lotta big heavy guys like Kyurem, Garg pre Tera, Heatran

It's really out there, but there is the possibility of Acrobatics on Meow. Unfortunately, this requires running no item or a consumable. Meow kinda needs their item. And I hardly think getting rid of choice items would be worth it. But if you were thinking of running HDB anyways, maybe you could fit the hazard support.

Run some idiotic set like...

Meowscarada @ Normal Gem
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Acrobatics
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Proc the Normal Gem for a surprise Adamant revenge kill and then pull out the Tera Flying Acro. Low kick hits the Steel and Rock types that get in your way. Knock Off hits everything else. Why not just run Sucker Punch? Because your mom, that's why. Yeah... There is a reason why nobody runs Acro Meow. But I feel like it's legit good coverage with Low Kick and Dark STAB. Maybe a Fling set would be better?

On a more serious note, has anyone tried Expert Belt on Meow? It could be better than Band if you run 4 attacks since you might be forced to switch out less. Grass/Dark/Ice/Fighting or maybe even a Tera would hit a lot of the meta super effectively.

viivian

beep boop
is a Tiering Contributor
running anything on meowscarada besides HDB or choice scarf just doesn't sound very good to me. having to take hazard chip (which would basically force you to run great tusk on your team) without the extra boost in speed feels hard to work with. you could definitely run expert belt but i'm not sure how big of a deal the damage boost actually is, and if that boost makes running expert belt genuinely worthwhile

On a more serious note, has anyone tried Expert Belt on Meow? It could be better than Band if you run 4 attacks since you might be forced to switch out less. Grass/Dark/Ice/Fighting or maybe even a Tera would hit a lot of the meta super effectively.
While CB is my personal favorite, I was using this for awhile with Tera Fire Blast/Lowkick/Knock/Triple Axel. It felt like amazing coverage due to the sheer range you got, and it was honestly pretty fire. You need to be careful with water mons faster than you but long as Wake isn't around you typically can deal with a lot. Sure, fire on it might not sound the most interesting but it lets you deal with a lot of common switch in's against it ala the metal birds and Rillaboom. Which for the teams I usually use, are the most annoying piece of shits for them

It's really out there, but there is the possibility of Acrobatics on Meow. Unfortunately, this requires running no item or a consumable. Meow kinda needs their item. And I hardly think getting rid of choice items would be worth it. But if you were thinking of running HDB anyways, maybe you could fit the hazard support.

Run some idiotic set like...

Meowscarada @ Normal Gem
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Acrobatics
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Proc the Normal Gem for a surprise Adamant revenge kill and then pull out the Tera Flying Acro. Low kick hits the Steel and Rock types that get in your way. Knock Off hits everything else. Why not just run Sucker Punch? Because your mom, that's why. Yeah... There is a reason why nobody runs Acro Meow. But I feel like it's legit good coverage with Low Kick and Dark STAB. Maybe a Fling set would be better?

Expert Belt is my preferred item, actually. Knock will force progress regardless but you can utilize its extensive coverage while not being locked or taking Life chip. Being able to Knock a Protecting Glisc and then they stay in on a OHKO Triple Axel feels very very nice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 27)