Gen 5 My First Gen 5 OU Team

Greetings there! I need some assistance with my Gen 5 OU team! Specifically, how to counter other teams and when to know how to swap, how to utilize defensive stats against wall breakers, and any suggestions on what to swap out members of my team with. (There is one UUBL pokemon which is Chandelure and one NU pokemon being Archeops.)

Excalibur (Excadrill) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Rush

EVs: 148 HP / 124 Atk / 236 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Swords Dance

- Iron Head

- Rapid Spin

Excadrill usually helps me break through stall teams and SandStorm teams due to the move Swords Dance and helps me get hazards out with Rapid Spin. Excadrill also covers Ferrothorn’s weakness if Chandelure is knocked out by any circumstance. Excadrill is a physical sweeper.

Archy (Archeops) (M) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Defeatist

EVs: 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe

Naive Nature

- Head Smash

- Aerial Ace

- Earthquake

- Roost

Archeops is a great suicide lead. Archeops is very speedy and good at taking out big threats such as Volcarona and maybe Tyrannitar with the help of Archeops high speed and a great movepool that can cover all of its weaknesses. This really helps with my play style, trying to read other people’s moves, taking out types that Ferrothorn is weak to and then setting up. Archeops is a fast physical sweeper.

Thorny (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs: 200 HP / 192 Def / 116 SpD

Careful Nature

- Spikes

- Stealth Rock

- Power Whip

- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn’s job is to lay down hazards and be a partner to Chandelure since they both technically cover each other’s weaknesses when it comes to swapping. Ferrothorn is also good against Rain Teams. Ferrothorn is the wall and lays hazards down.

Hydra (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

- Dark Pulse

- Dragon Pulse

- Fire Blast

- U-turn

Hydreigon is slow compared to other threats that can exploit its slowness such as Keldeo, Latios, and Alakazam. However, due to the help of Reuniclus, Reuniclus can run Trick Room and some screens (depending on the moveset of the opponent) to give Hydreigon a spot to switch into. Hydreigon is the “fast” special sweeper for my team.

Melancholy (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Flamethrower

- Shadow Ball

- Trick

- Hidden Power [Ice]

A great swapper when it comes to Ferrothorn. I usually lead with Ferrothorn to set up hazards, however most pokemon would swap to a fighting or fire type. Trick to lock someone into a status move. Chandelure also works as a good spin blocker due to this. Chandelure is also good with Sun Teams. Chandelure is also a fast special sweeper and spin blocker.

Eunice (Reuniclus) @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

Bold Nature

- Light Screen

- Trick Room

- Psychic

- Reflect

Reuniclus helps set up for Hydreigon. Hydreigon is not notorious for its speed therefore with Trick Room and Reflect or Light Screen (Depending on moveset), it can help take down Garchomp. Reuniclus is mainly a setter for my team since I like to play defensively and set up everything before using offensive Pokemon.

Purpose (Of Team overall): Set up, adapt to different builds of teams and set up stuff before throwing them out on the field.

(This is my first time posting and reading the rules, if I made a mistake in posting such as not following a set format, please let me know.)

Overall: All the members of my team cover an important part of each other. Chandelure is a good switch in for Ferrothorn and Ferrothorn can counter Rain Teams for Chandelure, Reuniclus makes up for Hydreigon’s lack of speed, defense, and special defense, same goes for other team members such as Chandelure. Excadrill can use Rapid Spin for a safer swap in, take out Sand Teams which can be a nuisance to Archeops, or Archeops can take down anything that is a weakness to Hydreigon and Excadrill give them a better chance at fighting.

Last edited:
Sand Rush is not legal in the current meta, but i also feel like this might be lacking a good scald switch in, as if ferro switches in on scald it can get burned and then chipped every turn it stays in without leech seed, opening up the team to Latios, especially because reuni is monopsychic, which leaves it way less threatening against rain teams, which use the strong and fast attackers to overwhelm things. I also feel like screens with reuni on this team feels weird, especially because monopsychic leaves it completely trapped by tyranitar. I could be wrong, but these are the immediate issues i see.

Sand Rush is not legal in the current meta, but i also feel like this might be lacking a good scald switch in, as if ferro switches in on scald it can get burned and then chipped every turn it stays in without leech seed, opening up the team to Latios, especially because reuni is monopsychic, which leaves it way less threatening against rain teams, which use the strong and fast attackers to overwhelm things. I also feel like screens with reuni on this team feels weird, especially because monopsychic leaves it completely trapped by tyranitar. I could be wrong, but these are the immediate issues i see.

Thanks for your feedback! I decided to put on screens to help out Hydreigon against things that it is weak to but if you have any other suggestions to movesets, I guess it could work. If you have any other suggestions on what to change in my team, I am happy to oblige. (I also just remembered it is banned, I had Mold Breaker on my Exacdrill in teams but I changed it to Sand Rush just for this post…I have no clue why honestly I just did.)

Questions:

Which do you prefer, using a Calm Mind build, a Trick Room build, or a "attack range" (as in multiple different type moves) on Reuniclus?
How can I counter Scald?
Should I get rid of Archeops?
Should I add Volcarona, it has been on my mind to?
And how about Keldeo?
Is Trick Room necessary if I make my team fast and have priority moves?

Thanks for your feedback overall!

Last edited:

dawn to the dusk

during the tough day
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Eloooo mate sry for busy and late reply to u.
Now let me answer ur questions with the two brand new teams. I dicide didvite ur team into two part version cause i dont know if u are really like
or
. Why do i divide them into two teams? Cause Archeops can still be playable in bwou with HyperOffense team but Hydreigon do not suit HO well. Also one reason for why there is not team for
, i do really like this pokemon but in bwou its usefulness is too limited, due to its type combination, it is afraid of stealthyrock, and it is not fast enough, and it is often trapped by tyranitar, or it can reach a one-for-one operation with opponents. And if u really wanna try to use it, here are the two sample that made by peng, check it here: Team1(scarf version)Team2(ballon version)

So let's get down to businessThe Archeops version Smurf With the 140 Atk and 110 Spe, taunt and the ability to set entryhazards, archeops is an undoubted suicide lead, also ur roost+focus+its poor bulk, it's a very contradictory sets, Excdrill+Archeops+Ferrothorn+Hydreigon will makes ur team too weak fighting type to akaward against terrakion and scizor and so on.
  1. Excdrill's sand rush is banned in bwou, and we already choose the archeops as the suicide lead, and starmine is more suitable as the spinner.
  2. For this HO team i dont think there need much to say that how to use, cause everyone's job are explicit, and if u wanna win? put attack pressure as much as u can, if u let ur opp control the battle rhythm, then u will need to consider how to swap, and u will be dangerous.
The second team is hydreigon sand offense
  1. How to swap? Three levitate pokemon will makes u not fear ground type, when facing garchomp/lando/excdrill/mamo/gliscor and so on, dont be hesitate to swap the pokemon that can check the other type attack that from the the above, for example, when ferrothorn and tyranitar facing excdrill, its move's priority must iron head/sword dance/sub >earthquake, and u can use the strength of the team and the psychology of the opponent to switch rotom-wash or ferrothorn stay to hit back. We got for weakness to bug type right, to eat the u-turn or wall scizor, use ferrothorn and rotom-wash to punishi them.
  2. How to against keldeo? Yeah this team also got lots weakness to fighting type, the rotom-wash can wall keldeo only 2-3 times, so we need a sound method, that is why i choose the ferrthorn's item
    >
    , eat one secret sword and powerwhip to ko it. Also the latios and reuni could be a way to fend off keldeo for now.
  3. Tyranitar's item is
    , this is the measure for volcar, cause when it quiverdance for once, our team can not defense it at all, so tyranitar Tanga Berry+Rock slide can save the game when this happens.
  4. How to counter scald? Use rotom-wash\ferrothorn\reuni, rotom-wash and ferrothorn do not fear scald but they are afraid to be burned, reuni like the burn and toxic most, so u can choose whatever u want.
  5. Use the spikes and stealthyrock to help hydreigon、latios、reuni to clean.
That's all for ur questions and my rate, hopw u like them!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)