VGC Regulation F post-format RMT

Only recently started competing myself after a decade of watching from the sidelines. Started in the last few days of Reg F. Seems a little late since we're in Reg G now, but I feel like hearing some feedback on my final reg F team would still be helpful in teambuilding in the future.

https://pokepast.es/f8334c22e1c5a5f9

Torkoal: Provides instant sun on switch for Ogerpon and to charge Flutter Mane's protosynthesis, making them both extremely dangerous. Follow me also allowed for eruptions to fire off at high power. Heat wave was an alternative when health was beginning to drop, Solar Beam took care of ground and water types. Tera grass for the same reason, plus immunity to Spore. Charcoal was used because getting locked into eruption without TR support would be a very bad thing.

Indeedee-f: Protection from priority, follow me, chip damage with dazzling gleam/to avoid being a sitting duck after taunt, helping hand to make attacks hit harder. Pretty standard stuff, aside from the lack of trick room, although that's a pretty huge departure. Max bulk to tank as many hits as possible. I can't recall what the exact EV spread was for, I believe I simply pulled it from a recommended spread for the format. Baton pass... eh? I go into that in the mistakes section. Tera fairy to gain a resistance to dark in a pinch.

Flutter Mane: Extremely hard hitting specs set. Ev spread went with max special attack timid nature, with enough speed to guarantee a speed boost from protosynthesis. The rest of the points were poured into physical bulk. Spread is a bit different than normal, I believe most invest a bit more in physical bulk and less in Special attack to survive rapid strike's surging strikes, but I felt a lot safer because of sun. I liked the power I had here, but I wonder if I shouldn't have just gone max speed max special attack, since I got nervous around opposing flutter mane and chien-pao. I maybe should have gone sash on it instead and swapped whimsicott to covert cloak. Also its iv is wrong in the paste, it had 20 in attack just because I was too lazy to grab another one. It never came up, but I probably would change it anyways. Tera fairy to go from neutral to resistant to dark for sucker punch, and to amp up Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast to extreme levels.

Whimsicott: Sunny Day support, tailwind support. Not packing taunt or encore because my own psychic terrain would block them on anything not flying. Tornadus probably would have been better, but the spore immunity did actually come in handy a handful of times, so I don't think it was a bad pick. Endeavor... is weird. It's not bad when it works, but if your opponent figures it out they'll just ignore whimsicott because it can't damage them without them damaging it first. Probably the second biggest moveset mistake after baton pass on indeedee. I started with tera ghost to block fake out, then swapped to steel after giving it covert cloak, then switched back to sash and kept tera steel.

Ogerpon-Hearthflame: Aggressively took advantage of the sun and tailwind provided by torkoal and whimsicott to crush even fire resists with its absurdly powerful Ivy cudgel. Horn leech was an alternative STAB without recoil, follow me allowed it to redirect when another pokemon needed a safe turn, spiky shield is just very good in general. Max attack, max speed, to hit as hard and as fast as possible. This is a very cookie-cutter set, but it's a set that works. Tera Fire's Attack boost and the further boost to fire STAB that naturally comes from terastalizing made it extremely difficult to stop.

Iron Boulder: The final teamslot changed quite a lot. Originally it was Lilligant-H with After You to give torkoal a very fast Eruption, but she didn't really do anything well outside of that. Eventually I settled on Iron Boulder as a sort of alternative physical offense option. It nicely smacked opposing protecting pokemon with Mighty Cleave, especially Ogerpon-Hearthflame. Having sacred sword as an option to exploit fighting weaknesses was also nice, though tera fighting was kind of necessary to give it some extra juice. It also appreciated having its water weakness nullified by sun. Its very high base speed was also a great help.

A few things that are obviously wrong in hindsight:
-Intended to give iron boulder as much attack as possible while getting speed boost from quark drive, ended up 1 point short but liking the higher power more so I stuck with it. That gave it a kind of awkward ev spread without a dedicated reason for it.
-Whimsicott's speed iv. The 0 is not a typo. Endeavor on its moveset was also often a coin flip as to whether it would be game changing or completely useless. I flip-flopped between that and Moonblast.
-Torkoal with no trick room. Surprisingly this actually worked out far better than it had any right to, with follow me support from indeedee and ogerpon actually allowing for eruptions to go off at full strength from time to time and heat wave was still dealing impressive numbers. But it still probably would have appreciated TR.
-Continuing from the above, Baton Pass Indeedee. The idea was a safe, slow pass akin to Incineroar's parting shot, and with the bonus of getting to pass along the psychic seed boost. It... occasionally worked? But really I should have just slotted in Trick Room.
-incineroar / grimmsnarl was a very nasty matchup due to having little way of handling screens or intimidate. I kept trying to slot in brick break on movesets, but it didn't quite feel right anywhere I put it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)